South Arkansas Historical Preservation Society & the Newton House Museum
The South Arkansas Historical Preservation Society (formerly known as the South Arkansas Historical Foundation) is a 501-c-3 not-for-profit located in El Dorado, Arkansas. The Historical Preservation Society's principal property is the beautiful Newton House Museum. Located on Jackson Street, this historic Greek Revival home has authentic décor that reflects its antebellum construction (circa 1849). As the only antebellum home open to the public in El Dorado, it offers a glimpse into the rich history of southern Arkansas. This museum is a great family attraction and one of the special places to visit while in El Dorado.
The Historical Preservation Society also hosts the annual Mayhaw Festival, history forums, free educational programs (September through May), and a Speakers Series co-sponsored by South Arkansas Community College. Membership is available through the Preservation Society support organization.
NAME CHANGE APPROVED FOR LOCAL HISTORICAL GROUP
EL DORADO - The South Arkansas Historical Foundation has been a force for historic preservation and education for over 35 years. During this time the organization has focused on the successful restoration of the Newton House Museum, circa 1849, a premier example of antebellum Greek Revival architecture, as well as providing the public with free educational and cultural programs. Our lectures and the ever-popular Mayhaw Festival with Bluegrass music continue to provide a vital and edifying service to the people of El Dorado, Union County, and southern Arkansas.
After internal review, the Board of Directors of the SAHF has come to the agreement that now is the time to grow and expand our facilities to better serve the public. It is our belief that a new museum dedicated to the history of southern Arkansas will give us the space and tools to reach a larger audience. In conjunction with the feasibility phase of this project and to better facilitate the overall development process for organization the Board of Directors has voted to change the name of the organization to the South Arkansas Historical Preservation Society. Board chair Diane Alderson noted “This change reflects, in a concise and more precise way, the actual and unchanged mission of our organization and more accurately portrays our day to day operations to the general public.”
“The purpose of the South Arkansas Historical Preservation Society, Inc. is to share the history of South Arkansas by collecting and preserving stories, genealogies, documents, artifacts from past generations and to promote the history of South Arkansas through events, printed material and new technologies.” This mission statement was adopted in October of 2007 and remains unchanged.
The Historical Preservation Society office is located at 411 East Faulkner in El Dorado. Membership forms are available at www.soarkhistory.com and the East Faulkner office. Tours of the Newton House Museum are available and may be arranged by calling 870-862-9890. Make sure to like the Newton House Museum on Facebook. Visit both our Newton House Museum Facebook page and the web site for information on past events and upcoming programs.